Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Comfort Foods

Some foods are so comforting, so nourishing of body and soul, that to eat them is to be home again after a long journey. To eat such a meal is to remember that, though the world is full of knives and storms, the body is built for kindness.
~Eli Brow


Thinking about food this Wellness Wednesday. Healthy comfort food in particular. Do you have anything you like to eat when you are cheering yourself up? Mashed potatoes are a favorite of mine, with lots of cream, butter, and salt. Not super healthy, and honestly, a healthy version of it probably isn't going to do it for me.

My relatively healthy comfort food favorites:
soups and chili
tea and lots of it
smoothies
plain Greek yogurt with honey
coq au vin
chicken tikka masala
guacamole and tortilla chips
lasagna (okay, not healthy?)
chocolate drizzled strawberries (maybe with bananas or marshmallows...)


photo by Jen R

This looks like a good list: 31 Days of Healthy Comfort Food

What are your favorite comfort foods, healthy or otherwise?

I lived in Atlanta for five years and boy howdy, did I love the food. This video fills me with longing:



3 comments:

Ben said...

You're making my hungry. That chicken bisket ain't looking too "wellness" to me!

Tabatha said...

You made me LOL. It says "wellness" to me, buddy.

Pop said...

Ah, what a question...the toughest you've asked so far!

There's wellness (healthy for the body) and there's wellness (healthy for the emotions).

My first choice is milk chocolate. (Not any chocolate...I was never so disappointed [comfort-food-wise] than when somebody sneaked in dark chocolate when I was expecting milk chocolate.)

And then, the exercise got interesting. I would say gravies and sauces would be number two. You can take good food and put gravy or sauce on it and, voila, comfort food!

Finally, I just love pie. Period.

Thanks for the interesting exercise (so to speak). Now off for a Reese's. :-)